Home Page
About Us  

An Abbreviated History of the Hosack Street Baptist Church

The Hosack Street Baptist Church grew from a Bible Class started in August 1910. It started in the home of Mr. Bill Moore, located at 1969 South Washington Avenue. The idea of developing into a church must have been in the minds of the members of the Bible class from its very first meeting because a collection was taken at each meeting. The money was entrusted to Mr. Moore and Reverend Edward Saunders, who later became the first regular Pastor of the Bible Class. It was during these Sunday sessions that the little mission on the Southside of Columbus began to grow.

There was a definite need for a religious place of worship on the Southside amidst the steel mills and factories, so the little group thrived. As more and more people attended service, it became necessary to provide more than one room for worship services.

The money collected during these sessions allowed the group to move to a storefront located at 305 Hosack Street. It was Reverend Saunders’ and many of the original members’ intention to form a Methodist Church.  Since they were unable to meet the requirements of the Methodist faith, the members of this little Hosack Street Mission organized into a Baptist Church. The church obtained its charter on November 2, 1915, and the Articles of Incorporation were filed the 3rd day of November 1915.

The small congregation grew and, in the years that followed, plans were made to build a new place of worship to meet the growing need of its members.  The storefront church later moved from 305 Hosack Street to 258 Hosack Street.

Reverend H. H. Teague was called to pastor Hosack in the winter of 1934 from the Mount Calvary Baptist Church. Under Reverend Teague, a building program was reestablished and the old structure of the church was wrecked and using a designed principally by Reverend Teague, rebuilding started. The actual date of return to the main sanctuary was sometime in March of 1947. Reverend Teague served until his death in 1968.

Reverend Percy A. Carter, Jr., accepted the call to serve as Pastor of Hosack in June 1968, coming from Mansfield, Ohio also from the Mount Calvary Baptist Church. The first ten years at Hosack, Pastor Carter established a very strong building program; it was his vision that one day Hosack would move from its previous location at 258 Hosack Street, to its present location of 1160 Watkins Road.

Hosack Street Baptist Church has had eight (8) pastors to date. The first pastor was Reverend Saunders, seven (7) more followed in his footsteps: Reverend J.R. Green, Reverend W. M. Williams, Reverend H. H. Teague, Reverend Percy A. Carter, Jr.,  Reverend Trent D. Hayes, Reverend Dr. Daryl R. Hairston and Dr. Jonathan E. Morehead.  Many more have served as supply Pastor, interim Pastor, and associate Pastors.

Under the tutelage of Reverend Dr. Hairston, Hosack obtained its 501c (3) and status as a non-profit organization on January 6, 2003. Dr. Hairston served as pastor of Hosack for six years before answering God’s calling to pastor the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Reverend Kenneth Byrd, a son of Hosack, served as Interim Pastor fulfilling pastoral duties of preaching, teaching, counseling and other pastoral duties, until Saturday, April 10, 2010 when Reverend Dr. Jonathan Morehead acknowledged the call to be the eighth (8th) pastor of this great church.

As we start the 2011 New Year, Hosack’s theme is “A Centennial Celebration”.  In September we will celebrate our 100 years of service to the south-side community in Columbus. It has taken many hands to fashion Hosack Street Baptist Church and many tears have gone into its growth. Many hearts have swelled and many souls have been refreshed upon hearing God’s word preached from the pulpits of Hosack. It has been and will continue to be the love of God, and the Christian love we have for each other that continues to hold us together.

Please note this is an abbreviated history and you may recall persons who were instrumental in the church’s history but whose names were not mentioned; any oversight is not intentional.